Thursday, January 26, 2012

And so it begins

Finally got my internet set up! Thank God!! I was feeling so disconnected from the world. No internet and no phone when you're in a foreign country is terrifying. But I managed to get through it, somehow. I still have crazy jet lag that has me awake at 3 AM here but hopefully that will go away soon!

So given that I never really traveled much before and just a few days ago I managed to go to 4 countries in 14 hours, I learned a few things that I thought were interesting:

  1. I am able to function surprisingly well after 3 plane rides and more than 30 hours of no sleep
  2. Seeing british people driving on the left side of the road makes me laugh, especially watching it from an aerial view.
  3. The UK really does have a TON of Double Decker Buses... those also made me smile. 
  4. Switzerland charges way too much for a salami sandwich and sprite. 13 Euro... ridiculous. 
  5. Switzerland also has weird advertisement, including cows mooing on a train through the air port...
  6. Italian drivers are CRAZY ... I honestly thought the taxi driver was going to kill us. My mother would have had a panic attack ;)
  7. Apparently in Italy, if you drive a scooter or motorcycle, you don't have to follow the rules of the road.
  8. Also, electric cars are silent, and sneak up on you on these tiny roads.
  9. European men openly pick their nose in public.
  10. In general, Italians think of American women as "noisy" and "easy" while they consider American men to be "the enemy"
  11. Also, Italy's road have got to be the hardest maze I have ever tried to maneuver. But I have the basics down. So it's a start. 
So other than that, I've just been going to orientations and trying to fix my jet lag (unsuccessfully I might add). Hopefully this blog will become more interesting as I start to actually roam (punny) around Florence and start traveling!

1 comment:

  1. I can hear you laughing right now at the British bus driver!

    ReplyDelete