Tuesday, January 31, 2012

First Day of Classes

Well, I guess my semester had to start at some point. January 31st until May 12th sounds like a pretty good deal to me though. Today I only had Italian class, a much needed class at this point. I've been butchering the language like its my job. My professor is Mariangela, this precious little woman who gets way too enthusiastic. She'll definitley be able to keep me awake during class though, so that's a good thing. My homework for that class is a simple two sided work sheet that any four year old here could easily finish within a minute. I however have been working on it for 20 and I'm almost done with it. Yikes.
Knowing a little bit of Spanish actually makes it harder to learn Italian, in case you were curious.

Other fun events of the day I decided I want to share:
I pass this one vendor on a daily basis and he always sings to me as I walk by. The four songs he has sung to me? "I kissed a girl and I liked it", "Sexy and I Know It", "I love you, I love you, I love youuuuu", and his own little song that went something like this: "it's snowing! it's snowing! so drink wine and have sex because it's snowing!" ..... this man must listen to quite a lovely radio station. He sells umbrellas and hats for anyone who was wondering.

Italians also like to walk past me and tell me "I love America" ... cool bro. I don't care. Don't talk to me.
Fun Fact: Apparently here if you make eye contact and smile at someone while walking past them (like most people do in America) it's basically a come hither type of look. So I stare at my feet now...

Also! (My mother will love this) I decided that while I'm in Italy I'm going to go by Breanna rather than Bre. I just LOVE the way Breanna sounds in an Italian accent. Much cooler than Bre does. Plus they know food way too well, I feel like Brie cheese would be an issue here...

And to add something my dad will really like, it has been over a week since I have sent a text. I am miraculously not going through with drawl. I have a phone here, but I only use it to call my land lord Martha (not a very helpful woman by the way. Very nice though.) and I've only called her once... It's kinda pointless for me to have a phone actually.

Last three things:
1. It hasn't snowed in years in Florence, and it is supposed to snow today and tomorrow! What is this?? I didn't think it was possible for the Chicago weather to follow me here. I dislike snow very much. Rawr.
2. For all the Gams reading this: Julie either followed me or has Italian relatives. Either way, she needs to quit it.
3. This song plays constantly here! The only TV shows in English here are music videos or Jersey Shore (figures) so while watching English music videos this song comes on in between them. It's also on all their radios. I think this is their version of Eminem... sad sad Italia. But if you wanted to listen to Italian culture, or want a laugh, I decided to include this song. And just know, it sadly gets stuck in my head. No idea what he says in it either. When it's stuck in my head, I just make random sounds that I think pass for Italian... Click here for the song

3 comments:

  1. You are hilarious. I'll look forward to future posts. What do you think of the food? Isn't it truly amazing? Even the pizza on the street is out of this world. Have you been to see David yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! The food is amazing! My mom was worried I wouldn't eat anything, but I'm worried I won't stop eating! I haven't seen David yet. We have the option to buy a museum pass through my school, so I think I am going to do that and then go see him. I hear he is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of you crack me up! Keep writing, Breanna. I am living vicariously through you on this trip, and I am having a blast!!

    ReplyDelete